Wednesday, June 6, 2012

InstaGrateful

Today was one of those days where I had to drive a lot. School and work drop-offs and pick-ups, an orthodontist appointment, lunch at Panera, assorted errands, a drive through McDonalds and a trip to the grocery store: it was quite the automotive marathon. 

I don't necessarily mind days like this; each and every one of those trips was important and necessary for someone, if not me. I'm happy to serve. 

But long days in the car can get so boring. My options for entertainment are fairly limited. 

Cone-ing has already been done. 

  • I can talk to my human and canine passengers, which I do. 
  • I can blast music and sing, which I do. 
  • I can check my Facebook, email, Instagram and Twitter feeds, which I do many, many times, but only at traffic lights. Safety first.
  • And I can stare out the windows and hope for something lovely to look at. I get so tired of grey asphalt and big green signs.

Sometimes, I think that is the worst problem. Driving around can be so...ugly.

But I have learned exactly how to entertain myself. I keep my eyes peeled for tiny little beautiful sights. Sometimes, I have to be very patient. Many times, I am ready to give up hope of finding anything interesting to look at, ever again. But if I keep at it, something precious always emerges. And then I grab my camera and Instagram to my heart's content.

I've done this before. And today, I did it again:

Make way for these half-grown ducklings, who were cleverly using
the crosswalk on a very busy street. Bless them.
As I was pulling into my garage, I glanced over and noticed these rhodie
blooms which had fallen so sweetly onto my yellow bench.
Thank you, blustery wind.
My travels took me across Lake Washington, and I'm always
rewarded with a trip across the bridge by a beautiful view of the water.
Love the red stripes on this crane.
Heading up Highway 99 in Shoreline, near school, I noticed that as part of
a recent construction project, the median strip is now lined with big rocks
and planted up with all these adorable succulents. What a practical and
beautiful alternative to more ugly concrete.

I stopped at my school to run a brief errand, and noticed these students
playing one of my schoolyard favorites, kickball. The bright yellow ball
against the green grass just makes me smile.

To me, this challenge to find beauty in every facet of daily life is what Instagrams are all about. And on long days in the car, I am especially grateful for that philosophy.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to be InstaGrateful, too!
    -h

    ReplyDelete

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!