Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Solar Power

In honor of the fact that this is the first day of my spring break, and a lovely sunny one at that, I decided to take a little jaunt down to University of Washington to check out the blooming cherry trees. I wandered all around that beautiful campus and took, as usual, a scandalous number of pics. It wasn't until I was back home and busily uploading them that I realized I had accidentally taken them all with an incorrect setting. Even though I glanced at a few of them after taking them, the sun glare on my screen was so strong that I didn't detect the problem.

Fortunately, the photos can be corrected. I'm working on it.

But in the meantime, I was reminded of another time when a bad setting and a super glare-y screen created some surprising photos for me. A couple years ago, I was romping around Seattle's Olympic Sculpture Park, taking pictures left and right on my trusty old Blackberry Pearl. As I checked the results in the display screen, they looked a little funky but the sun glare made it really difficult to see what I had captured. When I got home and took a closer look, I found that I'd accidentally activated the solarization setting, and to my surprise and delight, the pics turned out like this:


I never would have thought to use that setting but I absolutely love the results. I'm so glad the sun played a clever trick on me that day, and I'm grateful to be reminded again today of the power of a happy accident.

* * * * *

Stories about my trips to the Olympic Sculpture Park, with photos galore. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!