Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Pizza Cravings


Sometimes, in this no-carb, no-sugar existence of mine, I crave things that I'm not supposed to eat.

Isn't that just the worst.

Lately, it's been pizza. I try not to think about it, but my mind tortures me with vivid memories of the tantalizing textures and spicy flavors of that forbidden fruit. 

The mellow sauce. 
The zingy pepperoni.
The warm, gooey cheese.

Argggg. 

I was driving myself mad until suddenly it hit me. It's only the carb-loaded pizza crust that is on my list of can't-haves. The flavors that I was truly craving are all foods that I can eat.

So I decided to create a crust-free pizza.

Now there are probably a billion different ways to go about inventing such a dish, but I went super simple:

A slice of pepperoni on a pan
with a dollop of pizza sauce, 
a generous pinch of shredded mozzarella, 
and a fresh basil leaf on top, just for good measure.

I slid my little concoctions into a hot oven for a few minutes, just till the cheese bubbled and browned.

Then I took them out and considered the results.

They were messy and greasy and melted together into a big, cheesy blob. In other words, perfect.

I slipped a few off the baking pan and on to the top of my baked tilapia. Then I ate it all up. Oh my goodness, it was heaven.

Totally cured my craving.

And as I was enjoying my scrumptious supper of pizza-topped fish, I thought what a good thing it is to look carefully at each element of my life, subtract the parts that are not working for me, and hold on to the bits that are delicious. Sounds like a very satisfying recipe.

* * * * *

For more stories about my carb- and sugar-free eating adventures, read:

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant! Why have I never thought of this before?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? But the good news is, we have thought of it now. Let the eating begin!

      Delete

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!