Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Carrying Christmas

My furry philosopher.

For some people, it’s the day the tree comes down. 

For others, it may be the moment when the last holiday cookie is eaten, or the final scraps of wrapping paper hit the recycling bin, or the heaps of new gifts on the coffee table are finally given a proper home. 

For me, Christmas is officially over when my out-of-town daughters go back home. 

Today was that day. I woke up ridiculously early with a pang in my stomach, an ache in my heart, and the sad feeling of letting go. 

Mothers do not like to let go of their adult offspring, no matter how brave they may try to be.  It’s hard and sad. Every time. 

But off to the airport we went. And even when I returned home, the glum post-holiday mood hung over me like a heavy fog and I felt that familiar despair that comes around this time of year. Christmas is over, the celebration has passed, and I have nothing to look forward to. 

And then I looked at my dog. 

She’s a sunbeam, this Gracie of mine, and she all but sang out to me: “Mom! It’s okay! Every day is fun when we’re together!”

The waves of sadness ceased. A rush of calm washed over me. I felt bathed in a pool of peace. 

Because I knew in a flash that my dog was right. As long as we carry them in our hearts, the peace and joy of Christmas live on throughout the year. . 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!