Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Transition Carrots

"Transitions are a time for reflection, and a time for looking forward." -Roy Cooper

"The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution." -Paul Cezanne

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1Q8-jmlRQlaNr7jt0bggXgt16uxsofgXIhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1W5cj3x-cTzvNolnSN_P25ui9_pg1oVGs

First thing every morning we walk downstairs, my dog and I, and head straight to the fridge. Gracie almost always gets there first, and parks herself with a tidy sit. She watches breathlessly as I open the door, dip my fingers into the cool water inside a certain red bowl, and extract a small handful of carrot slices. With rapt attention, Gracie perfects her position, wriggling with uncontrollable delight but holding remarkably still as I close the door and consider her. 

She waits for it.

"Good dog," I say and offer the first slice.

Thus begins another day, and a ritual we have come to call "transition carrots.'

As our day unfolds, we dance back and forth with one another. 

She goes outdoors for a potty break.
I slip off for a few hours to meet with students.

I go out to work in the yard for a few minutes.
We go out for a walk together and return home, joyously, together.

Each one of these partings and reunions is graced with another round of transition carrots. Just a few delicious bites remind us both that, yes, this day is on track and going well. We are together and all is right in our world.

Sharing a few crunchy carrots is a wonderful way to celebrate our happy life together.

1 comment:

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!