Saturday, February 26, 2022

Baron

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1Q2k1oo259brCOaa5-zEABUXU5WB3S9L1

Because of Baron, it's always been important to me that my dogs exude maximum friendliness. 

Good old Gracie ticks all the boxes. 

We had the sidewalk to ourselves in the home stretch of our walk when I notice that Gracie, who'd been trotting along at an easy 15 feet ahead of me, suddenly slows her pace. As I cruise up alongside her, she carefully moves into her "heel" position at my left side, and presses herself against my leg. 

A quick look tells me everything.

Across the street, walking with his own human, is a big black dog. Short-haired and long-legged with upright triangular ears, dogs with these features seem to intimidate Gracie, and I suspect she's had some unfortunate encounters with big black dogs in her past.

I understand exactly how she feels. 

* * * * *

His name was Baron. 

He was an big black dog with sleek fur and triangle-y stand-up ears, and he lived at the far end of my little lakeside neighborhood. Baron spent most days hanging out in his open garage which stood just a few feet off the narrow track that passed for a neighborhood road. With my mom, I'd encountered Baron many times; he'd bark an aggressive blue streak at us, but when my mother boldly commanded him to go home, he would obediently shut his mouth and slink back into the shadows of the garage. 

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1Qj70iX13RVKkSRZe_U81lp2HR8ovAhmN

Although some people mistake Gracie for a little red bear, 

I've never met a single person who was afraid of her.

One winter day when I was a bitty little thing, my mother and my younger brothers and I went to visit some newfound family friends who lived in the next neighborhood over from ours, beyond Baron's house. Wrapped up against the cold, I trudged with my mom along our familiar snow-covered neighborhood lane as it passed the back sides of houses that fronted onto the lake, past Baron's house, along an unfamiliar section of beach, across an even more unfamiliar lakeside park and down a completely foreign lane to our friends' house. 

It was, for my experience, a long, exciting and wildly exotic journey.

We visited for an hour before my mom announced that it was time to get home for my baby brother's mid-morning nap. I was more than happy to head back, but my playmate announced that she was not ready for me to go. In fact, she wanted me to stay for lunch. 

Quickly, the moms put together a plan for me to do just that. They determined that I could walk back home by myself - "You know the way; just follow the lake," my mom coached me - and so it was decided.

A few hours later, this unfamiliar mother bundled me up in my Michigan snowsuit, called my mom to tell her I was on my way, and gently pushed me out the door.

I should probably mention that I was just barely four years old. 

And I was easily a half mile away from home. 

I was a cautious but capable little thing, and I brought all my powers to bear on my journey. The first leg of the trip towards home - down the friends' lane, through the park, across the beach - was formidable. But I remembered my mother's advice - just follow the lake - and soon enough, I found myself back in the more familiar terrain of my own neighborhood. 

Weak with relief, I trudged along the snowy path toward home. The scary part of my trip was over.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1gnaUg-OhVFEsSajc1MutYOTsncKBiULt

She will not bark in your face. Ever. I promise. 

But I had forgotten all about Baron. And sure enough, just as I passed by his garage, he came rushing out. His big, black face staring defiantly into mine, Baron began to bark.

I was terrified. 

I thought of how my mom handled Baron. How she stood her ground in front of him, and commanded him to go home. I summoned up all of my four-year-old nerve and delivered the same message: "Baron, go home!"

But Baron did not go home. 

In fact, Baron stepped closer to me. And then closer again. Barking and snarling with increasing enthusiasm. His flashing white teeth terrified me and all I could think of to do was to back up.

I backed up around the perimeter of his fenced-in yard.

I backed up to the edge of the frozen lake. 

Baron followed me, matching every one of my backward steps with a forward step of his own.

His barking intensified.

Now he had me pinned up against the shore of the lake. Desperately seeking an avenue of escape, I saw only one option. I backed up and out onto the well-frozen ice. 

Baron still followed me.

In fact, he seemed to gain confidence as my terror grew. 

Further and further out onto the ice he forced me, barking with every step. While I was slowly making progress toward my house, I was back-stepping further and further away from shore. At least a hundred feet out in the middle of the desolately empty and icy frozen lake. 

At this point, I was sobbing uncontrollably, icy tears rolling down my face, terrified beyond words.

And then I looked up.

High on the hill above the lake sat my house, strong and safe.

Against the white snow, I saw a tiny figure rushing across our yard and down the steps toward the shore. 

My mother was coming to save me.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=19z7yNJO3eoKhpHRJemylGW2I4iHzdAzC

The general lay of the land. 

Later, I learned that since the phone call notifying her of my departure, she'd been watching for me, stepping out the door and peering down the lane from time to time in hopes of seeing me marching toward home. It was after a handful of these lookouts that she finally noticed a tiny child standing in the middle of the frozen lake as a big black dog stood between her and the shore. That quick glance explained everything.

Still sobbing, I stayed frozen on the spot as my mother slipped out onto the ice, crossed the considerable distance to where I stood, and scooped me up in her arms. She shooed away the still barking Baron, then quickly carried me toward home.

* * * * *

Gracie is still pressing her big, strong, shaggy red body against my leg, and she glances across the street, keeping her eye on this big black stranger. 

He may be perfectly harmless but I understand.

I reach down to pat Gracie's back as we pass the Baron look-alike, and I quickly walk my girl toward home.  

4 comments:

  1. I have to say a word on behalf of Baron. He was a purebred Labrador (the first dog I knew who had "papers") who lived next to the far park when we first knew him. After Baron’s 16-year old owner was killed in a motor vehicle accident in May 1961, Baron spent much of his time in our yard where there were always kids to play with him. Many of the neighborhood dogs roamed free in those days. Typical of Labradors, he liked to be with people. Perhaps he represented too sad a reminder to get as much attention at home after the loss of their boy. My father went to his family and made our adoption official. After that, Baron slept on our beds with us, wore party hats at birthdays, got along with our cat. Before the summer of 1965 he was gone. He often accompanied my brother to catch the afternoon kindergarten bus at the main road. Baron had the vice of chasing cars, though, and he was killed doing this one day while my brother waited for the school bus. He immediately brought home Baron’s collar, and my Mom drove up to the main road. Andy the mailman helped her put the body in her car. Baron was buried on relative’s property in Howell. We can still "visit" him all these years later.
    He was the first of many cherished dogs in our family. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How on earth did I miss this complex and emotionally wrenching context to Baron's life?! The loss of his main human and subsequent cold shoulder from the rest of his original humans goes a long way in explaining the rough treatment he gave me. Still, I have zero memory of his time with your family. Absolutely zero. And I must say, as I read your story, I was completely gobsmacked. RIP Baron. You scared the absolute crap out of me, but I forgive you.

      PS I do remember Andy the mailman!
      PPS Baron came before Freckles? My understanding of the Phillips canine timeline is in ruins. Please enlighten me.

      Delete
  2. Freckles came after Baron. She was a dalmatian/collie mix who joined our family as a puppy in 1966. She had the short dalmation coat but with collie-colored speckles. She and I explored a lot, and on a kid-scale, we wandered pretty far from Ore Lake, with my various nature field guides packed in a plaid metal lunchbox. One day we discovered a wonderful mature forest, unlike anything around Ore Lake. I heard my first Ovenbird. It turns out we’d discovered a back door path into Bishop Lake State Park.
    Because of her, decades later I adopted another dog named Freckles. My sister happened to catch a plea on a call-in radio show. The caller said they were moving out of the country and couldn't bring their beloved dogs. Their house was sold, the closing was in four days, and they urgently had to find good homes for their two big dogs. My sister’s ears pricked up when she heard one of the dogs was named Freckles. So in honor of our old faithful Freckles, who overlapped me from grade school till after college, I contacted the caller. One dog was already adopted, but Freckles was still in need. After I passed their reference checks, their 9-year old, 75-lb Freckles II came to live with me.
    This Freckles was some sort of hound mix, and had the same collie-coloured speckles as our original Freckles. She had the beautiful springy trot of a Budweiser Clydesdale. My brother started referring to her as “F-II” and that became her nickname. She was extraordinarily sweet. This brilliant match of F-II would not have happened without Freckles I. Lightning struck twice, with two outstanding Freckles.
    M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for explaining - now I understand. i distinctly recall Freckles' dog house underneath the willow in your front yard, though I suppose maybe it was Baron's house first. I'm glad they both lived happy lives with your family, and brought Freckles II into your life years later. How lucky you were to be loved by two wonderful dogs named Freckles.

      FF

      Delete

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!