Monday, November 11, 2019

Gordon's Pumpkin Soup

I have mixed feelings about pumpkins. Sure, I love to see a fellowship of orange gourds gathered around my doorstep in the fall, and come the end of October, nothing makes me happier than to slice one up, scoop out the guts, carve a dashing grin, and light up a jack-o'lantern's spooky face for my neighborhood trick-or-treaters.

I love to look at pumpkins. But sadly, I have never enjoyed eating them. 

Cookies
Breads
Lattes
Muffins
Even pumpkin pie

I totally understand pumpkin's appeal and the cozy, spicy vibes that pumpkin-flavored goodies invoke.

I just don't like how pumpkin treats taste. Too rich, too heavy, too much for me. 

Still, I feel a little sad that I'm missing out on the pumpkin bandwagon. So for many years, I've tried to keep an open mind, and an eye out for some kind of pumpkin delicacy that works for me.


It was a few weeks back when my daughters and I were wandering around an autumn market that my third-born pointed out this display to me. "We should try that recipe for pumpkin soup," she suggested, and I was on board in a hot minute. 

We chose one of these Winter Luxury pumpkins, took a shot of the chalkboard, and set our sights on what I hoped would be the perfect dinner for a fall winter night. 

Much to my surprise, I loved this soup. It does not beat me over the head with its pumpkin-ness. The flavor is soft and gentle, due I suppose to this particular species of pumpkin. The Winter Luxury has turned me into a pumpkin soup lover and that, my friends, is no small feat. 

Here, in an every so slightly revised form, is Gordon Skagit Farm's surefire recipe for a delicate and delightful pumpkin soup that even I adore:

Ingredients:

4 cups oven roasted Winter Luxury pumpkin
olive oil for drizzling
salt and pepper

1 sweet onion
1 T butter
1/2 t sugar

2 cups beer
2 cups vegetable stock
1 1/2 cup water

2 cups heavy cream
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese 

Directions:


1. Chop the pumpkin into 4-6 similar-sized chunks, remove pulp and seeds. Place in a cast iron skillet, season with olive oil, salt and pepper. Pop into a 420 degree oven for a half hour until the pumpkin is soft and golden.


Yeah. Just like that. 



2. While the pumpkin is cooking, start the onion, butter, and sugar in a pot. Keep the heat low and stir often in order to caramelize the onions, which takes at least 20 minutes. The trick is not to brown the onions but to cook them so slowly so that they soften rather than crisp.


3. When the onions are soft and just starting to brown, add the beer, vegetable stock and water. I would like to tell you that I used a rich, hearty German beer such as the chalkboard recipe recommends. But the truth is that I did not. I used two Coronas because that's what I found in my fridge, and I have zero complaints. 


Scrape the cooked pumpkin from the rinds and toss the chunks into the pot. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat to medium low and simmer for 30 minutes. 

4. Use an immersion blender to smooth the soup. Revel in its gorgeous velvety texture. Add the cream and cheddar cheese and just heat through.


5. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and plenty more black pepper. 

* * * * *

I liked this soup so much that I ate it for three meals in a row. Yep, dinner, breakfast, and lunch. And I really can't imagine a higher compliment for this tasty recipe and my new magnificent friend, the Winter Luxury pumpkin. 

* * * * *

If this story doesn't convince you to visit Gordon Skagit Farm, then I suggest you keep reading:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!