Monday, July 1, 2019

Skin Is In

Some of my favorite Glossier skin care products just also happen to be adorably cute. 

I learned about Glossier first from my daughters.

A few years ago, shipping boxes with cute graphics began to show up at my front door, first in a trickle, then a flurry, and finally an almost daily onslaught. 

As the boxes were unpacked, I caught glimpses of glossy pink cardboard interiors imprinted sweet slogans, and adorable pink bubble wrap envelopes filled with a mysterious array of sleek tubes, jars, and bottles. 

I was, in a word, intrigued.

But my beauty products have traditionally come from the aisles of Target, and I never considered spending money on a bougie online beauty brand built for users far younger than me.

* * * * *


A pop-up store, to be precise. A millennial marking plan for a millennial product line, and I was definitely the only boomer in the building as I browsed about the gleaming display stands. I read the marketing copy that describes how Glossier makes products 

that focus on skin care first and makeup second,
that are clean, simple, and fun to use, 
that are designed to elevate rather than obfuscate a woman's natural beauty.

Hmm, those values resonate with me. I was still feeling a bit self-conscious about my generational status, but I decided to buy a couple things - Milky Jelly Cleanser and Body Hero body lotion- much as I would shop for any souvenir on a trip out of town. Just going with the flow, right?

Well. I came home. I cleansed my face and used the lotion. And you know what? I really liked my Glossier products. They were at least as good, if not better than what I was buying at Target, and not necessarily all that much more expensive. And I was surprised by how good my skin felt when I used them. 

* * * * *

So this summer, when Glossier popped up here in Seattle, and of course, my daughters and I stopped by to shop, I sprung into action.

I grabbed some more of that Body Hero lotion.
And some sunscreen for my face.
And a moisturizer, mascara, brow mascara, blush.
A little something called Bubble Wrap that plumps up sensitive skin.
And of course some Balm Dotcom, a skin salve that comes in seven different flavors.
I chose the rose.

I've been using them all for about a month and now I know for sure. Glossier gets me. And my skin has never looked better. 

* * * * *

On my second visit to the Seattle store, I was waiting in line to enter the store with the usual group of millennial women when we were joined by a pack of school girls. I mean teenage girls literally wearing school uniforms. 

Pleated plaid skirts. I kid you not.

And in that moment, I felt as self-conscious and out of place as a triceratops. 

I was planning my hasty retreat back to Target where I would fill a shopping cart with Noxzema, Jergens, and Oil of Olay when I got to the front of the line. The college-age Glossier girl in her standard pink jumpsuit took one look at me, and beamed. "Oh, you were here before! I remember your amazing skin. What are you looking for today?"

I decided to stay.

There's no doubt that I'm an extreme outlier of the Glossier demographic. 
By quite a few decades, 
But I don't care. 

At Glossier, skin is in, and I will never be too old for that. 

* * * * *

Want to read about all my Glossier adventures 
and see more pics of their adorable stores? Try these:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!