Thursday, January 24, 2019

My Sweet Ranger

2016

Last Friday was January 18. 

I remember this date because I was walking my dog, Gracie, in the twilight when a man approached us on the sidewalk.

Gracie heeled politely onto the strip of greenery along the walk, allowing the man plenty of space to pass, but he stopped to say hello to my red-headed girl. 

After praising and petting her, the stranger asked me, "But didn't you used to have a different dog?"

Yes.

What a discerning eye my new friend must have, to distinguish one lanky and energetic red dog from the next. 

And what a long memory.

"Yes, that was Ranger. We lost him almost two years ago."

It wasn't until I got home and sat on my porch swing, watching Gracie inhale her dinner, that I realized the date. 

January 18 

Ranger died on January 19, 2017.
So this day was exactly two years since the last full day of his amazing life.

And I'm so glad I met a stranger on the street who reminded me that I am not the only one who still remembers and misses my sweet Ranger.

 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!