Thursday, November 24, 2016

Timeless Thanksgiving

Clockwise from the top: green bean casserole, acorn squash, dressing, turkey, cranberry sauce. I didn't grow the vegetables in my own garden, but otherwise, this is pretty much the same meal that Clara used to serve me. 

As usual, during my Thanksgiving dinner today, I thought of my grandmother. She and my grandpa hosted most of our holiday meals as I was growing up, so her table set the benchmark in my brain for how Thanksgiving is supposed to look, taste, sound, smell, and feel.

Good food prepared in simple style.
A table set with pretty pieces. 
Generous helpings and lots of plate passing.
Comfortable conversation.
And a hostess who puts everyone at ease.

I never realized before how much I try to walk in my grandmother's ways, but one look at my holiday table proves the depth of her impression on me. And I think that if, just once, my grandmother could join us, our Thanksgiving feast would make her feel right at home. 

There's only one detail she would probably struggle to understand. 


Let's call it...the Instagram effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!