Sunday, August 28, 2016

Whimsical

Life really is a most whimsical thing. 
While we consistently try and chart its route, it goes ahead and takes its own turn. 

Just follow the paths it lays out before you. 
And you may find, at some sudden turn, a miracle waiting just for you. - Jyoti Arora


"Go look at the tree on the patio and tell me what you think."

As each of my daughters came home yesterday afternoon, I sent them to the backyard to check out my day's project. 

Grapevine spheres sprayed with a touch of copper and suspended with wire from the branches of a tree. 


"Mmm. So typically you." That's what my second-born said.


"What do you mean," I prodded. "How are they me?"


"They're just....whimsical," she said with the certainty of someone who has finally landed on just the right word.


Whimsical. 

Playful.
Mischievous.
Curious.
Quaint.

But whimsical also means changeable, erratic, unpredictable, capricious.

Though I think she used the word to describe my kooky Dr Seussian landscape - which is fine by me - I also realized that my daughter's word perfectly captures my attitude toward life. 


At this point in my life, I've lived beyond all my childhood dreams, bucket lists and wishful thoughts. Honestly, everything I ever dared to want has pretty much come true.

And for the past few years, I've realized that the life unfolding before me is way bigger than anything I could have made up.

I mean, come on:

Malaysians.
Math students.
A trip to Cuba.
A daughter in Asia.
Making peace with my mother.
Letting go of the past.

My journey - as well as my tree full of spheres - has become whimsical in the truest sense of the word.

And I am most definitely enjoying the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!