Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Selamat Hari Raya


This week marks the end of Ramadhan, the Islamic month of fasting, and the joyous celebration of Eid.

In Malaysia, we celebrate by saying, Selamat Hari Raya!

And in my world, wherever and whenever a holiday strikes, I know just what to do.

Yep. Break out the paper and paint, and make a banner!


For this one, I tore watercolor paper into squares.

Then I drew out the letters for my message with a yellow marker, and painted outside the outlines.

My inner art teacher wants to point out that that area is called the 'negative space.'

Using a teeny tiny hole punch, I punched teeny tiny holes in the upper corners of each square, and threaded them together with dental floss.

Yep. Dental floss. It's long, strong, and inconspicuously white. Plus it smells minty and that's a bonus.


Once this little baby was assembled, I trotted it into my dining room and took it for a trial run.

Yep, I think it turned out pretty darn cute.


Then I took down my banner, packed it into an envelope and mailed it off to Malaysia, where hopefully it is adding to the festive holiday gala.

Selamat Hari Raya to all my Muslim friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!