Friday, March 14, 2014

Draw This: The Name Game

Come on, everybody! I say now let's play a game. -Shirley Ellis


Here's are two true things.

1. Some people are intimidated by the idea of making art. Even the idea of "drawing" gives some of the self-identified non-artists a giant case of the heebie-jeebies.

But I daresay that everyone can enjoy a good doodle.

The thing about doodling is that there is no right or wrong. I suppose in a technical sense, doodling may imply some sense of pattern or repetition. But I'll defend to the death the doodler's right to do their own thing.

2. We all like to be called by name.

I don't know why that is. But I've found it always to be true. We all get that happy glow inside when we open a letter or a card and see our own name written at the top. And there is a burst of warm energy that comes when our friends greet us by name.

Even if we aren't crazy about the title we've been given - and I'll confess to some ambivalence about mine - still, hearing or seeing our name makes us feel known and, I daresay, loved.

Today, those two ideas collided in my head and a fun little art project was born.


^ My supplies:

A long sheet of drawing paper, cut in half lengthwise.
A black medium point Sharpie - and one to spare.
Watercolors, a brush, and water.


 ^ First, I outlined my name in giant letters that filled the page from top to bottom. 

I didn't worry about filling the page from left to right - later, I just trimmed off the excess.


^ Next, I doodled in the spaces around my name - also known as the negative space. 

No rules here. Any interesting or pleasing effect is fair game. 


^ And when my name was all doodled out, I grabbed my watercolors and washed colors over the patterns. 


That's all there is to it.

So simple.
So pleasing.
So fun.

Next time, you're itching to get your creative mojo on, give this project a try.

If you want to spread the love, try making one for a friend.

And if you want to push your artistic experience right over the top, trying listening to this song and singing along while you work.


And there isn't any name that you can't doodle. Umm, rhyme.

* * * * *

Drawing is contagious - if you're catching the bug, try these projects for more ideas:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!