Sunday, September 22, 2013

Ready, Set, Go!


Things are getting ugly in my home office.

Welcome to Day 1 of a top-to-bottom remodel. For the first time in my life, I'm making an intentional plan to redo every square inch of a room.

Usually, when I take on a redecorating project, I try to pretend that I'm only going to paint the walls, and upgrade a few accessories. Then one thing leads to another, and the next thing you know, I'm cleaning the window sills with a Q-Tip, sanding down the undersides of the closet shelves, and repainting every stick of furniture.

But not this time. I've learned my lesson. I'm going in with a plan.

* * * * *
These days, this room serves mostly as my computer throne. I'm the only member of the family still tethered to the desktop that lives here, so I claim sovereignty over design issues. There are two things I want to change about the way the room functions for me:
First, despite the pretty things to look at - a huge window, natural wood floor-to-ceiling bookcases, and a curiosity-satisfying view to the front door - the current furniture arrangement has me shoved in the back of the room with my face in the corner like a grade-school kid who said a bad word on the playground. Well, I'm tired of it, y'all. I want to look toward the light.
Secondly, I'll be honest. In the last digital upgrade, I somehow ended up with a huge computer monitor. In fact, it rivals our vintage TV for square footage, and so I watch a lot of movies and TV programs online. But seriously, I much prefer to do my viewing while lounging in a cozy nest. I need a couch in here, with a clear line of sight to my Hulu hotline.
Besides my wish list, this room needs some hardcore maintenance. I loved the red walls in their day, but they've been here for more than a decade and I am ready for a change. After hours of playtime in years gone by, the walls are bumped and bruised from many a little girls' game. Spackle is desperately needed.

And the windowsills...well, let me say that my previous setter, Casey, made a hobby of catching flies in the house. He would pin them down against this big glass pane, and then leap with reckless abandon, flailing against the window and scratching the woodwork to high heavens in his jubilant and usually successful attacks. Those long, sweeping claw marks make me a little sentimental, but come on, they have got to go. My sander and I have our work cut out for us.

* * * * *

Technically, I eased into the project yesterday, so let's call that Day 0. We hauled most of the stuff out of the room, prised off some of the woodwork, and began experimenting with a new furniture arrangement.


And most importantly, the ceremonial towel was laid out for the Official Tool Resting Place. In Streicherville, this sight is a sure sign of a project in progress. Ladies and gentlemen, start your engines, er...paintbrushes. This race is officially underway!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!