Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Reflecting Christmas


Welcome to my holiday front yard. As you can see, I participate in the great American Christmas tradition of decorating my house with outdoor lights. Although they don't look like much during the daytime, there are strings of pure white twinkle lights around my front door, and the lower roof line is trimmed out with the new classics, white icicle lights.

Lovely as they are, these lights play a supporting role to my favorite outdoor yuletide decor, the giant ornament balls. 

Okay, okay, okay. I admit it. I have a fondness for round objects as garden art. I won't deny it. 

But the combination of these oversize bulbs in bright, festive colors, suspended from these spindly and rather droopy maple branches tucked into my front planter, take these lovely spheres to a whole 'nother level.

I love the juxtaposition of the classically shaped ornaments presented in this most unorthodox style. 
My tried-and-true favorites, simple geometric shapes and bold colors, are key elements of the design.  And most importantly, the finished effect is a good representation of who I am. To underscore that point, I was amused to find that my refection had been accidentally captured in the window of this shot.


Which just goes to remind me that my yard and my home, at Christmas as well as any time of year, should be a meaningful reflection of who I am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!