Sunday, November 4, 2012

Dreaming Of Beautiful Things

Tonight I am in denial mode. Reality means nothing to me, and I'm floating away on clouds of potential and possibility.

And if you could see my house right now, you would understand why.

We are in the middle of a big home improvement project. In all of the second story rooms, baseboards are removed, old carpets and pads are being torn out, and eventually I will repaint every inch, from ceilings to walls to newly sanded wooden floors.

Which means that every single possession of our three bedrooms, two bathrooms, four closets, and upstairs hallway has been emptied out and carried downstairs. Well, we left the big pieces of furniture in place but anything that can be managed on the stairway has been moved.

The downstairs of my house now looks like hoarders' central. And the upstairs looks like a demolition zone. The entire effect spells disaster.

And after a long day of dealing with all that disorganization and destruction, I can't take it anymore.

Which is why I am now happily in denial.

For the past two hours, I've been imagining how I will rearrange my bedroom furniture when the room is finally ready to be put back together. I won't be buying anything new, but I'm dreaming of ways to put things in new places, rehang the art, trade around the accessories, and that sort of thing.

And suddenly, I'm smitten with the idea of making an upholstered headboard for my bed. Never really thought of doing that before, but tonight, it seems like the most important thing in the world. So I'm doing my research.

Erika Ward

Frisson

Casa Sugar

Annette English

After just a few minutes of scouring around the internet, I've come to the conclusion that I like these simple rectangular shapes best. Oh sure, with a jigsaw, one can create any kind of swoopy, curving masterpiece imaginable. And there are no limits to the decorative buttons or nailhead trims or mega tufting options available. But in the case of upholstered headboard designs, it seems that I'm a fan of keeping it simple.

I like a spunky fabric though. Definitely want to play up some interesting patterns and bold color in that part of the design. So after another half hour of clicking through some fabric websites, I'm getting a clearer sense of what I like. 

Premier Prints Circles Tennessee Orange

Windham Fabrics Echo

Robert Allen Kukula Stripe Pinata

Windham Fabrics Multidot

I'm excited about this. Of course, my internal sense of self-discipline will not allow me to start this decorating project until I've completed all of my spackling, sanding, painting and repainting responsibilities  Sigh. It's going to be a while before I get to the fun stuff. 

But you can be sure that even though the next few weeks will find my feet firmly planted on the ground...or at least the floor of my second story... and my hands will be hard at work, my head will be up in the clouds, dreaming of beautiful things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!