Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Bold Adventurers


Currently, my daughter is far out over the Pacific Ocean, flying away from me at a vast rate of speed. She is traveling to a distant land and foreign culture, to live and work with strangers, and she will be gone for a long time.

We both want it this way.

Last night, Team Vietnam and Team Indonesia, both commissioned by her school's SPRINT program, left on their month-long trips to serve others around the world.

We all met last night at the airport, team members and supportive families, and we parents stood proudly by as they checked their bags and collected their boarding passes. Then we all gathered in a circle, held hands, and prayed them off. It was exciting and scary and exhilarating and overwhelming and happy and sad.

I wish I was going. I'm glad I'm staying home.

I think I'm emotionally confused.

But mostly, I'm just proud, very very proud, that my daughter has committed herself to this trip. She is a giving soul and a very bold adventurer.



P.S. I wrote a bit about the planning stages of her trip here. If you want to learn more about Team Vietnam's trip, or follow their progress, they are blogging about it here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!