Saturday, May 19, 2012

Blame It On The Karmann Ghia

An interesting thing happened to me the other day. 

I went to the gas station.

Well, no. That wasn't the interesting thing. But that is where the interesting thing happened.

So I was standing by the pump, watching $75 dollars disappear right before my eyes, when a bright and shiny object distracted me.

Glancing to the other side of the pump, I saw a sight that took my breath away.



It was a red vintage car. Clean, pristine and very well maintained. It was gleaming in the morning light like an angel from heaven and it was calling out to me. 

"Take my photo!! Please! For heaven's sake, INSTAGRAM ME!!"

Yes, that's exactly what it said. Or at least, that's what I heard.

Now looking back at this chain of events, everything up till now was going fine. But my next move was where I went a tiny bit wrong.

I decided, in my giddy, mind-altered state, that it would be weird to just blatantly whip out my camera and take a pic of this car. Somehow, it seemed cleverer to try to sneak a shot or two.

Yes, that is the twisted little thought that jumped into my brain. 

I'm not sure why I decided that the owner of this magnificent beauty would be insulted or upset that I admired it so much as to want a photo. Because people who drive around in bright red vintage cars are usually trying to avoid attention, right?

Anyway, just imagine me with my camera in hand, trying to take a photo while attempting to make it look like I'm checking my Facebook or texting my mom or something. 

Yes, that's what I thought I could pull off.

Here's how it actually worked out. The guy immediately realized what I was doing. Look, here's another version of the original photo, cropped to show you the inescapable evidence that I am very bad at taking pics on the sly.

Do you think maybe he noticed me?

Immediately after I took the picture, I realized he was smiling at me.

Wait, no! Don't notice me! 

Then, still smiling, he looked straight at me and waved.

In my shock and horror, I immediately blurted out "HI!" I said it way too fast and way too loud.

He was obviously amused. He paused, and if I'm not mistaken, he actually posed by his car and waited for me to take another shot or two. 

Yes, he was clearly loving it.

But did I laugh off my absurd stealth attitude? Did I smile and take another photo or two of that sweet machine and its proud owner? Did I wander over and chat with him about the object of our mutual affection? 

Nope. I stood there by my car, staring down at my phone, shocked and stunned by how quickly my cover had been blown. And in my temporary moment of super-sized stupidity, I tried to pretend that I was still doing something else on my phone!!

Hahahaha, OH YES I DID.

And that's not all. Even after Vintage Man gave up on his pose, climbed in that red beast and drove away, I STILL STOOD THERE PRETENDING TO BE DOING SOMETHING ON MY PHONE.

It was one of the dumbest things I've done in a long, long time. It embarrasses me to even admit it. 

But there you have it. Proof that a beautiful red Karmann Ghia on a sunny spring morning can turn me into a complete and utter lunatic. I blame it all on the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!