Monday, July 30, 2012

#ArtistProblems


I'm in a conundrum, on the horns of a dilemma, and stuck between a rock and a hard place.

This is what art will do to me.

As you can see, I'm in the middle of an outdoor piece, that is basically a giant weaving of metal. Originally, I had envisioned several different types of metals, woven together to make a fairly dense screen. That is still not a bad idea.

So I started with a six-inch wide roll of wire mesh. After I serendipitously rolled it out from top to bottom of my support poles (as shown in the top photo), I fell in love with it. I am crazy about how it is equal parts shiny and dull, see-through and solid-looking, straight and crookedy. I love the way it catches light, and I love the way you can see through it too.

As I began weaving in the copper strips (bottom photo), I felt my heart sink. The gleaming metal is pretty, and this step is getting me closer to my original vision. But I miss the purity of my first look.

Sigh.

I also know that, as an artist, I always go through a phase of hating my work while it is in progress. It's a good sign if I am annoyed and unhappy with how it's going, and I've learned to keep pushing and see what happens.

On the other hand, sometimes less is more, and it's wise to let go of an original plan when something much better appears.

So which of those two bits of wisdom will win the day, and decide the fate of my project?

Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!