Thursday, August 10, 2023

The Blues

There is no blue without yellow and without orange." -Vincent Van Gogh

The sky, the sky beyond the door is blue." -Ryan Stiles

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1JGD7ABAQt6WnxD0c4PAsw9AbWTlfT0PA
Gotta admit this is pretty cute. 

Marigold yellow.
Coral red
Salmon pink.
Tangerine orange.

If you know me, you know that my go-to color story is warm tones. Especially during summer, I love bright bursts of sunshiny colors that make me feel upbeat and alive.

I'm good with greens too, to provide some quiet space between the bouncier hues.

But what I don't like is blue.

I know. That's so dismissive and unfair. 

But blue leaves me flat. Cool and unfriendly, blue has always struck me not as neither crisp nor refreshing but more of a dullard. I can't get excited about blue; he is just not the life of the party. Or at least my party.

Still.

Last month, when my second-born showed me a blue flowered ceramic dish straight out of the 1970s, I hit the Etsy Buy It Now button without blinking an eye. An hour later, I noticed a blue striped pitcher at the same shop and again, reflexively snapped it up. The two blue souls seemed destined to be together.

And a week later, as I pulled them from their box and settled them onto my counter, my brain immediately knew they needed a third. Reaching all the way to the back of my stash of goodies, I pulled another 70s classic - a blue ceramic vase.

Clustered together by my kitchen sink, these blue finds spoke to me as blue rarely does. 

They made me smile. 

And now, I might just have discovered a fondness for the blues. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!