Thursday, February 17, 2022

How It Is To Be Loved

 https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1_4k8a6pBPvNUrvWIOYvnkWMCovKUZrAG

Craning my neck, and dodging to peek around my fellow pedestrians and assorted vehicles, I get a clear line of sight to my car in the parking lot. And then I begin to search her out.

Her fuzzy silhouette pops against the light streaming through the windows; I see her before she sees me.

She's sitting prim and proper behind the steering wheel - in my seat - and her ears are up; she is alert, attentive, and clearly on the hunt for me.

In a flash, her ears drop into low, furry red waterfalls, and I know she's seen me.

A giant smile breaks out on my face. I can't help myself. 

Shining brown eyes track my every move as I walk up to the driver's side door, and she eagerly accommodates my return by hopping into the back seat.

Hello, sister!

As I slide into my seat, she's already circled around in the back seat and now leans forward again, pressing her cold wet nose into my face and taking an enormous, shuddering deep breath.

This is how my dog greets me. By breathing me in. 

The mechanics are a bit sloppy but my heart understands.

She literally drinks in the scent of me, and I feel how it is to be loved. 


Happy Valentine's Day from Gracie and me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!