Saturday, March 17, 2012

Don't Think, Just Shoot.

I really enjoy the warmth, charm and artistic style of vintage photos. I would love to have a few old cameras that shoot real film, so I could take some for myself. I would gladly take an iPhone with Instagram potential, or even an Android that would cooperately employ one of the many other programs that would allow me to apply vintage filters to photos as I take them.

Wise words from a person named Tommaso.
But sadly, none of these options are within my reach. So I have created my own little workaround. After taking regular photos on my phone, I upload them to Photobucket and edit them there.

Oh, Photobucket. I know. It's technically unsophisticated and not very hip. But it's free. And there are a handful of retro filters available there that allow me to play around with my phone photos and create some fun effects.

That's where I first ran into the concept of Lomography. One of my favorite Photobucket filters is called Lomoish, so when I came across this blog post, I made the connection. Written by one of my favorite European bloggers, Luzia Pimpinella shows us all the fun she is having with her new Lomo camera. I was intrigued and wanted to know more.

The La Sardina model uses 35 mm film, features a wide-angle lens and comes in these four fun patterns. Want.

Founded originally in Russia, these durable, workaday devices eventually made their way to a group of enthusiasts in Austria and ultimately to photographers across the globe. You can read the details of this interesting story here and check out the many models available for sale here.

But even more than the cameras, the philosophy of Lomography fascinates me. The worldwide community of Lomographic photographers today have a unique point of view and a bold motto:

Don't think. Just shoot.


As well, they offer Ten Golden Rules for breaking free of photographic inhibitions:

1. Take your camera with you everywhere you go.
2. Use it any time - day or night.
3. Lomography is not an interference in your life, but part of it.
4. Try the shot from the hip.
5. Approach the objects of your Lomographic desire as close as possible.
6. Don't think. (William Firebrace)
7. Be fast.
8. You don't have to know beforehand what you captured on film.
9. Afterwards either.
10. Don't worry about any rules.

This approach to creativity is so me. And I realize that may sound very ironic, given my convictions for principle-driven living. But the truth is that when we clearly define the boundaries of our lives, we create a safe space for spontaneous, uninhibited exploration within those guidelines.  I'm all about that sort of risk-taking and fun.

Sadly, I do not have a hundred dollars to blow on a new Lomo camera. But I can gladly shoot plenty of pics on my trusty little Android, using the Lomographic point of view, and then tweak them on Photobucket to give them the right look. So yesterday, on my weekly trip to Stevens Pass, I did just that.

Here are the first half of my results - I'll have more to share in my next post.

Don't think. Just shoot.


 
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. ah!

    so nice that my blog posting inspired you to start "lomographing"! that is just awesome... i realy like your lomo-like shots a lot!

    happy sunday!
    nic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. isn't it fun to think how the words leave our fingers, hop into our blogs, and then travel all over the world, changing each others' lives in ways we never can guess? thanks for changing mine!

      Delete

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!