Sunday, April 28, 2024

Detroit Art

Race riots
White flight
Rust belt
Empty city.
Abandoned.

In many ways, Detroit has been defined by negatives. 

And, sad to say, those labels aren't altogether wrong. The city has down on her luck for decades. 

But times have changed and slowly, the tides are turning for the nitty gritty Motor City. 

And from what I hear, it's largely the creatives that are bringing her back to life.

“Our idea is that we will invest in art and culture as part of a portfolio of strategies meant to transform communities.” - Carol Coletta

Now make no mistake. Real people - often impoverished, disenfranchised, or homeless - live in Detroit and there have been massive efforts over many years to strengthen their neighborhoods and bring back to them a reasonable quality of life. Local artists, no matter their passion or persistence, do not have the right to override those efforts and claim the empty space as their own playgrounds.

But public art matters. It conveys a vibrancy that buoys the spirit of a place. That vibrancy draws humans who want to live, work, and invest in that place. And thus a city can be revitalized by art.

“Vibrancy is probably the best proxy we have for the quality of place. Quality of place is essential for attracting and retaining human capital. And human capital is essential to the economic well-being of communities.” - Carol Coletta


And so I've watched from afar as Detroit's creatives have gone to work over the past decade or so, blowing to smithereens the city's old identity as a dead zone. During my April weekend in the city, I realized that I'll need a whole 'nother trip to seek out and feast my soul on all of public art that has popped up during the city's rebirth. These are on my wish list:

Mural of Stevie Wonder
A massive painting of the Motown marvel, literally facing the entry doors to the hotel where I stayed on my recent visit. Somehow I managed not to take a photo of this, though I was dazzled by it every time I walked past. 

Murals in the Eastern Market
Every fall, artists flock to this corner of downtown to remake the murals that delight the eye in all directions. I would love to come while they're at work. 

MBAD African Bead Museum and Installations
How to help your community reconnect with their African heritage? A visual storyteller started this museum as a way to do just that, and the gallery has grown by leaps and bounds. 

During midday, she was quiet and sedate. 
But at nighttime, I'm told that the Belt comes alive. 

The Belt
We stumbled upon this one too. From the sidewalk at first glance, a generic alley opens up onto an ordinary street. But peer down the alley and delight in and explosion of light and color. Now home to a bar, a restaurant, a nightclub and an art gallery, the Belt is a great example of how creatives reimagined unused spaces around the city. 

Illuminated Mural
One hundred twenty five feet tall, rainbow inspired, and currently under repair. She looks like a beauty and I hope they have her fixed before I come back. 

Mural at Plaza del Norte Welcome Center
A Mexican neighborhood in the southwest of the city sparkles with murals celebrating Mexican culture.

“Detroit has always been a place where things have been made. That tradition is still alive here. But it’s starting to shift in a small way to a more [artistic] culture of manufacturing and creation.” - Alex Feldman

* * * * *

And whenever I'm back in town, I'll be sure to take these gems that remain from the golden days of the city's previous life. 

^ "The Entrance" is a 1975 sculpture by John Piet' it lived in another area of the 
city until it was moved here in 1997. Saw it as I was walking down the street.


"The Entrance" at Harmonie Park

The Fischer Building

James Scott Memorial Fountain on Belle Isle

Lobby of the Guardian Building 

United We Stand Sculpture

Monument to Joe Louis

Diego Rivera's Detroit Industry Mural 

I can't wait to get back to Detroit, a city on the rise, and see more of her gorgeous, life-giving art. 

* * * * *

Quotes and ideas captured from these articles:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!