Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Four In One: Anchors And Adventures

 

Dear Emily and Demetrio,

At your wedding, as is often the case in a postmodern ceremony, you chose to share words about your understanding of what marriage means, how you expect it will change you, challenge you, grow you.

And what you said, as I can best paraphrase, is this.

Life is about anchors and adventures. In order to boldly sail off into life's unknowns and embrace all the beautiful chaos that life has to offer, it's important too to have a place of safety and security to which one can retreat when the world becomes a bit too much to bear. And by uniting your lives in marriage, you both believe that you will make a great team that builds up both sides of your lives together.

Anchors and adventures.

And as I close in on thirty-nine years of my own married life, I'd say that's just about right. 

Now, life can be full of surprises, and no one ever stands at the altar with a clear picture of how their new marriage will unfold. When I got married all those years ago, though I didn't express them in the same words, I had similar ideas about anchors and adventures with my new husband and not surprisingly, I got some surprises along the way. It seems that my husband turned out to be more about the anchors, and I'm heavily into adventures. But that's worked out fine. Even though we don't always line up in the ways I thought we might, we still make a great team that builds up both sides of our lives together. 

Anchors and adventures.

So sail off, my loves! Celebrate your new life together by continuing to build a home of safety and security in each other's hearts, and also by launching off into the crazy cross-continental move of your most daring dreams. There's nothing on God's green earth that you can't do together, and there's no end to the sweet and tender care you can offer to one another. 



Anchors and adventures. 

I can't wait to watch your new life together unfold. 


With much love, 

     Aunt Diane

* * * * *

All photos by Jean Kallina Photography taken at Full Moon Resort, Big Indian, New York

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!