Thursday, September 8, 2022

It Happened To Me

"The truth is you don't know what is going to happen tomorrow. 
Life is a crazy ride." -Eminem

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1YjNQVRKX-QGvLZYh3zPvvKHZ4lXVeI58
And the next day, we traipsed around Seattle. 


It happens surprisingly often.

I'm watching a movie or reading a book. Maybe someone is telling a story. And the topic comes up.

Cheating spouses. 
Illicit affairs.
Crisis pregnancies.
Covert adoptions.
Hidden siblings.
And a secret shame so deep and desperate that it's taken to the grave. 

Wow. I shake my head in wonderment. I can't imagine what it would be like to live through something like that. The emotional turmoil must be unbearable. 

Then I laugh. 

And smile to myself.

Because I do indeed know exactly what it's like.

I have a brother from another mother. And it's great fun. 

* * * * *

Since I learned of his existence almost five years ago, my brother, Jeff, and I have met up several times, which is no small feat since he lives 2000 miles away in Michigan and I'm on the west coast. But this summer, luck would have it that my brother and his family flew out to Seattle to visit his sister - the one he grew up with - who happens to live nearby. He saved some time to see me too.

So it was that I once again found myself seated at a table, enjoying a meal with our two families together - his kids and my kids, his wife and my husband, even his sister joined us. Sharing this moment, these extraordinary circumstances, with these special people in my very own backyard - well, somehow it felt as if our story has come full circle. My heart filled with pure light and floated up into the blue evening sky. 

Then I laughed.

And smiled to myself. 

Because having my very own brother from another mother is great fun.

And I'm glad it happened to me. 

* * * * *

Here is the story of when I first learned about my brother, Jeff.

Here is the story of the first time we met in person. 

And here is me smiling again, thinking of all the stories my brother and I will write in the years ahead. 

 
* * * * *

Photo credit to my sister-in-law, Dacia. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!