Sunday, August 27, 2017

Pretty Postcards


Oh, what's this?

Another pretty postcard in the mail today. 

From Daughter Number Three. 

She and some of her teacher friends took advantage of a few days' break from school for a wee vacation. And knowing that I am a postcard aficionado, she thoughtfully sent several my way.

Looks like she's having a fun time. 

Eating
Shopping
Visiting some historical sites
Posting generously to her Instagram stories. 

I'm glad she's having a good time. 

* * * * *

It's only at this point in my reverie that the truth reaches my brain.

My daughter is vacationing in Tawain.

Taiwan!

A place that five years ago, I would have been hard-pressed to find on a map.
A country that is completely and utterly foreign to me.
An exotic land far away across the Pacific.
And, at least in my imagination,
A mysterious part of the deep and menacing Chinese empire.

But so accustomed have I become to my tiny daughter's globetrotting ways that her spending a week in Taiwan seems like a perfectly ordinary thing to do.

Now my pretty postcards are tiny reminders of my daughter's bold adventures and her courageous spirit.

I'm very proud of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!