Friday, April 21, 2017

Ranger's Human

September 27, 2013 - oblivious to everything but the scent

December 18, 2014 - Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays this courier from the swift completion of his appointed rounds,

March 27, 2015 - Dandelions for dayz.

August 20, 2016 - Cooling off in the front yard after another day's walk.

* * * * *

Me: [stands on corner, waits to cross the street.]

Man and woman in car at same intersection, waiting for me to clear cross walk: [put down their window and smile at me]

Me: [smiles back even though these people are complete strangers to me.]

Man in car: "Hi! Where's your dog?"

Me: [draws a deep breath] "Oh, he passed away."

Man and woman in car: [overlapping] "Whatttt? Oh no! That's so sad. I'm so sorry. He was such a good dog!"

Me: "Thank you. He had a long, lovely life."

Man and woman in car: [continue to smile at me as they make their turn and drive off.]

* * * * *

Over three months have passed since Ranger died. I continue to encounter strangers about once a week who ask after him.

I am so amazed by the impact that my dog made on the world and so honored that I was Ranger's human.

* * * * *
As long as we live on in the hearts of others, we are never truly gone,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!