Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Digging

"The best place to find God is in a garden. You can dig for him there."
- George Bernard Shaw


^ When my heart is heavy or my mind is full, I turn to my garden.


^ Not to stroll daintily among the roses, though I do make time to smell them.


^ Nor to idly pluck petals from a daisy as a means of making choices.


^ What I do is much messier than that.

I dig
big holes.

I shovel heaps of soil into my wheelbarrow

And I move them about, dumping piles here and there.

I pick out the rocks
I pluck out the weeds.
And with my trusty hose, I shoot streams of water to level out the terrain, creating swamps and mud holes in my wake. 

Then I smooth over the rumpled surfaces with a deep layer of fresh mulch. 


^ And usually, by the time I'm done digging for the day

dirty tools rinsed and put away,
weeds swept off to the composting bin,
my muddy feet scrubbed clean,

I'm feeling much, much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!