Thursday, October 1, 2015

Naps In The Sunshine



My boy, Ranger, knows how to enjoy a sunny afternoon. Granted, by five p.m. he will be wound up and anxiously anticipating his daily walk. But more often than not, he is the very picture of relaxation and I admire his ability to make the most out of life on a moment-to-moment basis.

Truth be told, I'm concerned about Ranger these days. At the generous age of twelve years, his good health and youthful energy are gifts that will undoubtedly not last forever, and we are seeing some sad signs that his body is not what it used to be. 

He sometimes slips and stumbles on the stairs.
Jumping into the car takes some effort.
Despite a healthy appetite, he is dropping weight.

None of this is good.

But Ranger is oblivious to these downturns. Still as easy-going and eager to please as a sassy little puppy, my good dog continues to live his life with optimism and good cheer. Every moment is an opportunity to celebrate - especially if someone will slip him a dog treat - and each day brings adventure and good fortune even if that's nothing more than a walk around the block.

No matter how many days Ranger has left, he is living each one of them to the fullest. I admire his wisdom and try my best to follow his fine example. 

Which means that I am taking naps in the sunshine too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!