Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Road Trip Day 4: Peru, IL To Olmsted Falls, OH



Off we go on another all-American family road trip. 

Two parents
Two daughters
A big red dog
And a car full of suitcases, leashes, a cooler, bags of food, blankets, pillows, maps, books, extra sweatshirts, water bottles, bags, backpacks, and a whole slew of electronic devices and their chargers. 

Where are we going and what will we do when we get there? Just wait and see. 

* * * * *

Chicago was my home for the first years of my adult life and it's always emotional when I get back to visit. The city with big shoulders stops short at Michigan Avenue, and I always thrill to see that front line of skyscrapers waiting for me as I cruise up Lake Shore Drive. Memories wash over me as I join the hustling, bustling crowds on the sidewalks, munch a sandwich in the fresh air of the park, and hear the L trains rattling along the elevated tracks of the Loop. 

Today we explored a part of the city new to us. Cloud Gate has captured my imagination since it was installed in the new Millenium Park over ten years ago, and meeting that gigantic mirrored bean today in person did not disappoint. Lunch at the Shake Shack across the street was also a new treat, and when we drove away from this short visit to my second-favorite city in the world, I was completely and utterly content. 

Distance covered today: 402 miles
Total trip so far: 2534 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!