Thursday, December 4, 2014

Golden Glow

I love to decorate for Christmas.

But I prefer to do it very slowly. 

The halls of most American yuletide-loving homes are fully decked by the close of Thanksgiving weekend, but that's when I'm just beginning my process. Armed with bits of paper, tree branches, fishing line, assorted garlands, and twinkle lights, I expect to spread the job out over the next few weeks.

Here, in day-to-day installments, is the story of how my house is getting ready for Christmas.

* * * * *


Candles at Christmas are a no-brainer. Of course, I have them everywhere, But heaven knows that there enough flammable devices lying around this house on the average day that an influx of holiday candles is hardly a news flash.

Still, in honor of my ongoing quest to bust out some festive flair, I decided to Christmas-ify my family room candle display with some new colors and textures. 


 ^ Inspiration struck, as it often does, in the housewares aisles at Target. This crazy cute two-tone footed candle holder had me at, "I'm gold on the inside and white on the outside; plus, I have geometric cut-outs!"

I bought it. 


^ As the whole perforated metals theme gelled in my brain, my feet propelled me to a nearby end-cap, where this silver job with the cut-out circles had been taunting me for weeks. 

Bought that one too. 


^ With these two treasures in my hot little hands, I hopped over to the thrift store, looking for a metal candle stand that would thrive under a few coats of gold spray paint, and a chunky hunk of wood to serve as a base and transportation aid when carrying the display from room to room.

Score and score. 

Filling in with a few odds and ends from my regular fire-starter arsenal, this gleaming grouping is now complete. 


And I am enjoying the golden glow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!