Friday, September 12, 2014

The Power Of Blue

Once again, the forces of whimsy and making-do are on the march in my home. This time, the locus of change is my bedroom. Without any real intention or forethought on my part, I notice that the kaleidoscope has shifted and a new color scheme has drifted into place. 

My bedroom, as it looks in real life. 

Grass green and orange.

Okay, I'm good with that. The yin and yang of those colors - one to sweetly nurture me and the other to blast me out of bed - work really well to balance my moods and set an invigorating tone for my mornings

But in the past week or two, I've been craving something more.

Specifically, I need some blue.

I'm not talking a bout a LOT of blue. Just a few drops. See them?

Here's the thing. Normally, blue is not my jam. It is my husband's favorite color, so I make a point to splash it around the house here and there, but this deep-seated soul need for a tiny pool of blue to call my own is something quite new. 

At first, Iwas a bit confused by this thirst, but now I understand. 

In this season of my life, colored blazing red by my mother's Alzheimers, I am craving a well-spring of peace and calm. In the mornings, when I open my eyes and the reality of life comes rushing back to me, my heart aches for a simple place of renewal and refreshment.

Somehow, a little bit of blue gives me just the Zen power-boost that I need.

Yes, I do buy used books based on the color of their spines. But only if I actually want to read them too. These are some of my favorite authors and I plan to turn the pages soon.

Interestingly, last night, I stumbled upon an article that puts a finger on my feelings.
Wallace J. Nichols, a marine biologist, believes that we all have a "blue mind" -- as he puts it, "a mildly meditative state characterized by calm, peacefulness, unity, and a sense of general happiness and satisfaction with life in the moment" -- that's triggered when we're in or near water. 
"We are beginning to learn that our brains are hardwired to react positively to water and that being near it can calm and connect us, increase innovation and insight, and even heal what's broken,"
Yes. That describes me to a tee. I'm passionate about water in all its forms, and in lieu of moving to the coast or digging a pool in my backyard, I'm feeding my "blue mind" with a stack of books and a wooden dog.

I've been obsessed with the idea of planting Irish moss in this bitty brass treasure box. While it may not feed my "blue mind," the springy color and delicate white flowers definitely make me smile. 


 Strangely enough, that strategy seems to be working.

The basket goes back to my freshman year of college; the big dog on a stick was a splurge from a pricey Manhattan boutique. The two smaller dogs and candle holders I've had forever; the silver tray, treasure box and stack of books were recently thrifted. 

So if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the thrift store to search out a few more blue treasures to add to my tiny yet powerful collection of blue

And in the meantime, I leave my room to sleepy Cedric, who seems to enjoy the power of blue just as much as I do.

Zzzzzzzzz.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!