Friday, November 22, 2013

Tick Tock


Notice anything new in my kitchen?

No, not the epic eighties tile counter. That pup is an original.

In fact, most of this scene will probably look familiar to you. Same metal display board, same collection of black and white postcards, same dishes peeking out from the shelves on the right. They've all been here for quite a while. 

You're right...the two cacti are newcomers to this particular space. But they have been floating around the house for months now, so technically they are not new.

Say hi to the true new kid on the block, my freshly installed clock.


Here's the back story on how it came to live with me.

A few weeks ago, I was flipping around the internet and came upon this. A simple DIY clock with a geometric attitude, a bold punch of color, and a mid-century vibe.

Well. Those just happen to be three of my favorite things these days. 

So I made it.


Yep, it's pretty much that simple. I bought the fixings at Hobby Lobby - the clock mechanism, an upgraded set of hands, and the wood disc for the face. They did not have a suitably thick piece of wood, so I bought three thin circles and glued them together. Basically, I created my own plywood.

And I love that plywood-y texture. I'm crazy into it right now. I want to rip out my kitchen cabinets and build new ones out of nice plywood. 

But you know, this week is Thanksgiving and I've got a turkey to roast. So for now, I'll settle for a plywood clock.

I also love the look of watercolors on wood, so I opted for that treatment, rather than a more opaque paint. The resulting moody and sweet blue-green half circle sets off the sleek black hands of the clock, and makes me smile whenever I see it.


Luna, who often sleeps on the nearby counter stool, approves of this clock. He can easily glance up to see if it's time for him to wake up and be cute again.

Just kidding. He is cute all the time, even when he's sleeping. 

And so, I think, is my new clock. Any time of night or day, it's just plain cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!