Monday, August 12, 2013

Artistic Inspiration


Tonight, while we watched bad TV and snacked on red grapes and white cheddar popcorn, my second-born and I made some art.

Nothing fancy. We just grabbed some printer paper and sumi ink, which is basically black watercolor, and tossed off some simple patterns. After the ink dried, we used Sharpie markers to add a few details. For our grand finale, we laid out our favorites on the floor, snapped a few shots, and then Instagrammed the results. It was a fun and satisfying way to spend a Sunday evening, even though I don't see any potential Mona Lisas in my work.

This was all my daughter's idea. During her years as an art student, Sunday night drawings were a ritual and requirement for most of her classes, and lately she has been missing the routine. So she asked me if I'd like to join her as she takes back up the habit, and I happily said yes.

* * * * 

Ironically, it's because of my second-born that I am interested in making art at all. From the time that she was old enough to hold a marker, she has been a passionate artist.


By the time she was old enough for school, it was clear that she needed special guidance in developing her artistic passion and natural aptitude. And since I had bitten off the job of homeschooling my four little girls, it was up to me to figure out how to help her. 

Well. They didn't teach me much about art in business school. I had not had any art instruction since about third grade, and had long since written myself off as not-the-artistic-type. But I did what every self-respecting mommy does. With both feet. I jumped into the unknown, in order to give my daughter what she needed. I learned a few basics about art instruction, bought her some interesting materials, and encouraged her at every turn.

And it all worked out just fine. Eventually, my daughter found highly qualified and gifted mentors to help her develop her talents and lead her into the world of art. Her story ends with a happily ever after.

But much to my surprise, I learned a few things about art too. And I discovered that all those "you can't do it" messages I had given myself were a bit premature. With the right mindset and plenty of patience, I unlocked the artistic side of my brain, and it's a gift I feel very blessed to have discovered. 

* * * * *

The artist, at one of her shows, is on the left, her admiring third-born sister is on the right. 

So thanks to you, second-born daughter for inviting me to make art with you on Sunday nights. And thank you even more for your passionate baby self, who inspired me to learn something completely new about myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!