Friday, July 5, 2013

Thomas Jefferson Would Most Certainly Approve


When our Founding Fathers wrote that revered Declaration of Independence, on the fourth day of July, some 237 years ago, they penned this beautiful and profound insight:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
So when I celebrate Independence Day, I always like to pursue some happiness at my dinner table. Tonight's simple but traditional fare included grilled bratwurst with sauerkraut, red onion, and all the trimmings; creamy potato salad just like my mom used to make, and plenty of fresh sweet corn. For dessert, I made a buttercream cake with caramel and sea salt iciing.

Now if that is self-evidently delicious, I don't know what is.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Sounds delicious. I'm reading Thomas Jefferson's biography right now and I think he would approve indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah TJ is my ultra fav super hero and I admire everything about him. Which bio are you reading?

      Delete

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!