Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Stopping To Smell The Roses

Here's a true confession: on warm summer evenings, I like to go outside to prowl around in my gardens. My intention is not to work in them, but to simply relax, unwind, and take in their loveliness. 

Now I realize that that doesn't sound like much of a confession. But here's the thing. I find it impossible to not get down and dirty in my gardens. Oh, it all starts innocently enough. I'll see a little lone weed, and think how easy it would be just to pull it and thereby exponentially increase my visual satisfaction. 

But then, some mystical force overcomes me, and the next thing I know, I've got heaps of weeds piled up all over the yard, six different tools lying around, and the hose running full blast. That definitely happened last night. Dried leaves in my hair (from crawling under the bushes) and muddy feet too. Oops.

Happily, before I ran amok, I had the presence of mind to spend a few moments just enjoying the beauty of the flowers and the quiet of the day. Even a uncontrollable gardening maniac like myself needs some time to stop and smell the roses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!