Sunday, July 1, 2012

Grandma's Flaky Biscuits


My mother-in-law has the best recipe for flaky biscuits. When she was raising her little nest full of chicks, it was a favorite family tradition in the summer to eat a whole dinner of nothing but fruit and biscuits, using this recipe. The fruit may vary - strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, or peaches, depending on the time of the season - and you may opt for fresh milk or whipped cream to pour or plop on top, but the biscuits must remain the same.

Obviously, when I joined the family, it was essential that I learn to make these sacred items. Here you see my copy of the recipe - yes, I have used it many, many times. What you can't see is that there is a second piece of paper stapled to the back of this one, which provides the measurements for a double batch. A single batch just doesn't cut it around here so I always double up.

As the Fourth of July, good ol' Independence Day, seems to be just around the corner, my mind has been sorting through ideas for a red, white and blue dessert. A quick roll through Pinterest is proof positive that there are many sweet patriotic treats to behold, but I can't think of a single thing that would taste better than strawberries, whipped cream and blueberries, served atop Grandma's tried-and-true flaky biscuits.

So yesterday, I put on my blindfold, tied one hand behind my back, and cranked out a batch of these fluffy delights. 


Just kidding about the blindfold.


Ok fine. Kidding about the hand behind my back too.

But I'm not kidding about their golden, fluffy delicious-looking-ness, am I? Just wait till you see them tomorrow, all decked out in their holiday best. 

I will probably lick my plate. And I'm not kidding in the least about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!