Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Fired Up For A Change

As summer unfolds, and my school brain goes into sleep mode, my creative energy inevitably seeks out a new target. More often than not, my restless need to make and do re-centers itself on my home.

What can I say. I like to fix stuff, change stuff, move things around. 

Yesterday, I was frustrated with the state of affairs on my kitchen shelves. After surfacing some old photos, I made a few changes today that have satisfied my burning need to switch things up. 

So now I've moved on to an old and stubborn problem in my family room. See that big black pit of a fireplace? Yeah.


I have nothing against fireplaces; in fact, I love them, and I consider myself very fortunate to have not one but two working fireplaces in my very own home. Lucky, lucky me.

But here are two additional pieces of information that will shed some light on my dilemma:

1. I rarely use my fireplace. Honestly, if I want a soft flickering glow, I light some candles. And if I'm in the mood for a full-on fire, I'm going outside to my fire pit where I can kindle a raging bonfire. When it comes to me and fires, there is no happy medium and that puts a damper on my use of the family room fireplace.

2. The family room is a dark cave and I crave more light in there. For many years, I was a slave to white walls, and since I finally made the change to blue, I'm noticing the dark corners and shadowy places even more. I've added mirrors, more lighting, and a coat of fresh white paint on my bookcase, all in an attempt to kick up the brightness.

So in the past few days, my brain has begun to restless churn through ideas for bringing some light to that big dark opening. I've considered painting it white, putting a mirror inside, filling it with candles, and several other tried-and-true optional uses for a fireplace. Nothing seems right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!