Saturday, May 19, 2012

If At First I Don't Succeed...

As you may recall, I've been working on making these graduation announcements. I created the cover design a few weeks back, and gave myself a reasonable deadline for completing the other side. Well, things didn't work out quite like I planned; the deadline has long since come and gone, and the graduation day is almost upon us. So today I gave myself a very stern talking-to and vowed to finish them before the day's end.

This is the front side. I completed this part of the project weeks ago.

So I sat myself down and got busy on the other side.  I had a general idea of how I wanted to lay it out but I was bogging down in all the options. Photo corners or no photo cornerss? Write directly on the green card or add a little piece of paper for the details? Incorporate some element of the front design on the back or leave it alone?

In the end, after much consideration and maybe a little hand-wringing, I opted for photo corners (but only two), a little piece of cream-colored paper, and a tiny spring of leaves.  I set to work and quickly churned out about half of my pile, and was feeling pretty good about my progress.

Looking good....but wait.

Wait. All of a sudden it hit me. Nowhere in this lovely bit of text that I was writing over and over in my best penmanship did I bother to mention the name of the fine institution from which my daughter is graduating. 

Umm. Yeah. That seems fairly important.

So after a few phone calls back and forth with said daughter, who gave me permission to take the easy way out and just leave them as is, I decided to do the right thing.

Once I ripped off the first one, the rest were easy. Well, easier.

Oh, yes, I did. I just tore all those pieces of paper right off the cards and started over. It was one of those decisions that seems disastrous at first, what with throwing several hours of work down the drain. but once I committed to fixing my mistake, I was glad to get rid of the problem.

I'm happy to report that five hours later, the new and improved cards are ready for mailing. Hallelujah! Let the graduating begin!


It makes me soooo happy to know that these cards are perfect.

Tomorrow's goal is to finish up the announcements for the other graduating daughter. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!