Sunday, April 1, 2012

Goodnight, Stevens Pass

Yesterday was the last day of night operations at Stevens Pass for the 2011/12 season. 

Sigh.

Don't get me wrong; the season isn't over yet. There are still two weeks left in the regular season, and if I want to pay for next year's pass now, I can partake of Second Season, which will keep me on the snow well into May. 

But until next December, it will be day skiing only.

Day skiing is fun and fabulous. As you can see in my many posts on this subject, Stevens Pass is full of beautiful sights, and the daylight hours show its full glory. But when the sun goes down and the lights come on, the mountain is transformed. Darkness makes the mountain feels smaller and more intimate, the crowd thins out but the sense of camaraderie among the riders increases, and as the temperature inevitably drops and the snow conditions become more harsh, we all feel a bit braver and bolder for sticking it out.

Here are some nighttime shots that capture the changing flow of light and mood, from glorious sunset through the twilight hours and on until full darkness has settled in.



This final shot shows the panorama of lights, as seen from the parking lot. I took this pic at my car, just before I sat down and drove away in the dark, for the last time this season. Goodnight, Stevens Pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!