Sunday, March 11, 2012

A *Sick* Day on the Mountain

Yesterday was Friday and as usual, my youngest and I headed up to Stevens Pass. Much to our surprise, it turned out to be a sick day in three different ways. Check it out.

sickafflicted with ill health or disease; ailing.

Let me give you a quick run-down of our typical Friday agenda:

9:30 a.m.  
Wake up on five hours of sleep. Dress in base layers. Load more clothes and gear into the car. Write out menu plans and chores lists for the rest of the family.

10:00 a.m. 
Say goodbye to Ranger. Leave for school.

10:25 a.m. 
Arrive at school. Send daughter in for her class. Spend an hour squirming around in a cramped, crowded car while waiting for her.

11:25 a.m. 
Meet back up with daughter. Stop at McDonald's for an early lunch. Wait. Technically, that was our breakfast. Head to grocery store to shop for our lunch/dinner on the mountain. 

12:03 p.m. 
Pull out of the grocery store parking lot and drive 75 miles to the pass

1:54 p.m. 
Arrive at Stevens Pass. Check in. ;) Put on more clothes and gear, pack the food into backpacks, grab skis and snowboard. Trudge up the stairs to the lodge.

2:15 p.m. 
Arrive in lodge. Eat an orange and one bite of my Snickers bar. Text a friend who is already skiing and arrange to meet up. Get excited...we are almost ready to go!

2:30 p.m. 
Daughter announces that she feels sick.
Yes. SICK. She has a stomachache and a headache, and doesn't feel up to riding. She just wants to go home.

Arggggggggg. All that work and planning and tedious attention to detail, not to mention driving the long haul up the mountain, was for nothing. I wanted to cry. 

Happily, I can report that my daughter is a very good sport. She rested in the lodge while I met up with my friend and rode with him for an hour and a half. Then I helped her trudge back down to the car, so she could stretch out more comfortably, and squeezed in another hour or so before my compassion finally kicked in and I drove the poor girl home. Bless her for being patient with her crazy mother.


sick deeply affected with some unpleasant feeling.

The weather was so crazy. Within the few hours that I was there, the unassuming overcast skies filled with menacing black clouds that loomed on the horizons and billowed up into the sky. As if that wasn't spooky enough, thick, mysterious banks of fog drifted intermittently across the runs. There seemed to be ghosts hiding in the trees and creeping over the tops of the range. It was super scurry.



sickcrazy, cool, insane

The U.S.Air Bag is making its stop at Stevens Pass this weekend, and it was operating in full force. 

If you don't know what that is, check out these videos. They were not taken at Stevens Pass, but they'll show you what this amazing contraption is all about.

And if you know what it is, well...you are probably already watching.

Because that airbag is ridiculously sick.



2 comments:

  1. Wow! That's a jam-packed schedule. No time for being sick--how nice that your daughter is such a good sport. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's thinly veiled insanity, that's what it truly is. And yes, I'm lucky that she didn't tie me up, throw me in the back of the car and haul me home, which is what I deserved. She is too good to me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!