Tuesday, September 13, 2022

On Her Throne

"I will remain on the throne until I fall off." - Margrethe II of Denmark

"Every woman is a queen and we all have different things to offer." -Queen Latifah

* * * * *

"Gracie, this way!"

With deep satisfaction, I hear my dog trotting across the driveway and coming up behind me as I stand at the entrance to the front patio.

I never get tired of my dog's unquestioning obedience. 

"Jump up!" I encourage as I point at the deep cushions of the sofa. 

Gracie understands the concept of following my finger and trotting off to wherever I'm pointing. And when my target is a soft, cushy spot to doze on a sunny afternoon, I fully expect her compliance.

But this is when she surprises me.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1h9fskcVTBy5E9v1MV0fM1l3lzwaAQHVJ

Because my regal lady of perpetual comfort does not curl up on the couch.

She leaps, in a smooth, fluid, majestic motion, onto the top of the table. 

Good heavens. 

Since when is this a place to sit?

Since never. Gracie has never once parked herself on this roomy but rock hard table top, nor has she ever seen a human seat themselves thusly.

But for whatever reasons, this is where Gracie decides she needs to be and she seats herself with the full sovereignty of a monarch. 

I consider coaxing her to the cushions, but since my goal is to place the dog where she can rest comfortably while still able to watch me gardening nearby, I decide it is not really my business where she chooses to sit. 

Besides, I tell myself, give her thirty seconds and she'll be clambering across the gap to curl up on her favorite corner of the sofa after all. 

But apparently, my dog is full of surprises today.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1r-eUbDfxTSDp1nzNKbUfb57UZ-wH8sd8

Because a half hour later, Queen Gracie still sits atop her resplendent throne and gazes upon me from afar. 

May she long reign over us all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!