Friday, August 16, 2019

Flower Power

"Always have something beautiful in sight, even if it's just a daisy in a jelly glass." 
-H. Jackson Brown Jr. 


Ever since I was a little girl, I've always loved daisies.


Maybe it's because I was a child of the sixties, when the daisy was an icon for love and peace.*

Maybe it's because my mother and my grandmother both grew deep drifts of Shasta daisies in their gardens, and cut bouquets by the armload every August. 


Or maybe it's just because of their sweet and beautifully simple style.


 All I know for sure is that I've always loved daisies, and I don't expect that will ever change.

* * * * *

* Flower Power is the name of a famous photo from 196t. It shows a young man slipping flowers into the barrels of guns pointed at him at an anti-war protest at the Pentagon. The photo, especially the young man's gesture, made a huge impression on my child self. I always thought he used daisies, but tonight I learned that the flowers were actually carnations. Well. They'll always be daisies to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!