Friday, August 31, 2018

Cleveland Beer and Coffee

We were making plans for our last day in Cleveland when I had a big idea, “Can we do something Cleveland-y?”

For all the times I’ve visited my family in the area, there have been precious few outings around town. Mostly my time here has been spent in my mother-in-law’s kitchen, chatting on backyard patios, and hanging out at the pool. Finally we parents had some time to ourselves.

So my brother- and sister-in-law put their heads together and came up with a great plan.


^ First stop: Edgewater Park

This gorgeous crescent of shady grass and sandy beach swoops along the shoreline of Lake Erie just west of downtown Cleveland. The script letters have been positioned just so for a perfect capture of the skyline and the effect is irresistible. We called some strangers over to work the cameras and rocked our best Cleveland pose.


^ Second stop: West Side Market

Tucked up close to -you guessed it- the west side of the city stands this gem of a farmers’ market. Offering fruits, veggies, meats, cheeses, baked goods, pastries, candies and who knows what all else, the market has been a center of deliciousness since 1840.

I was overwhelmed by the incredible magnitude of food options - my husband picked out a vendor and suggested we buy some of his beef jerky. “You pick the flavor,” he said. There were at least a dozen.

So I calmed myself by taking photos of the pleasingly symmetrical and sedately ornate ceiling.


^Third stop: Great Lakes Brewing Company

Near the market, in the quickly gentrifying Ohio City neighborhood, we stopped for a bite to eat. Despite the 90 degree temperatures and 90 percent humidity, our outdoor table was cool and breezy and a perfect place for a Midwest lunch.


^ My salmon BLT was delicious and a lot to eat on such a hot day. I savored every single bite anyway.

^ And this little princess sat quietly between our chairs as we ate, relaxing in her little puddle of shade and watching the people passing by just inches from her resting place.

Our wait staff served Gracie a bowl of fresh cool water...in an upside down red plastic Cleveland Indians batting helmet. How cute was that.


^ The flower baskets near our table were absolutely exploding with lush summer color.


^ As we reluctantly left our comfortable seats and headed back into the glaring sun, my sister-in-law found this sign and quickly claimed the quote as our new family motto.

And while I don’t really drink much beer or coffee, I love our new mottto. Because I am definitely all about good ideas and getting them done.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for Sharing nice Post..

    Prepare for an exquisite experience finest beers Cleveland has to offer from our microbreweries and brewpubs. Plan your beer adventure here.

    Best Cleveland Brewery

    ReplyDelete

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!