Monday, October 9, 2017

Live A Little


Do not calculate the calories per bowl. Just eat it and smile. 

I'll be honest. As the dog days of summer sprawl out into a glorious feast of August sunshine, my interest in cooking always dwindles.

By Labor Day, we are typically surviving on big salads, quick sandwiches, and whatever can be thrown on the grill in a hot minute.

But once the crisp days of autumn kick in, when the sun's angle slants toward the horizon and the first fallen leaves chatter across the patio, I'm ready to cook.

This year was no exception. I've been experimenting with new recipes. The heartier, the better. I'm a fool for rich soups and hearty stews and creamy sauces draped over pasta. 

Because after a lifetime of low fat, vegetarian, carb-free penance, I'm done with food rules. I eat healthy, balanced meals and sensible portions. And I'm surprised how well that works out.

Take this soup for instance. 

Shrimp
Bacon
Red potatoes
Heavy cream.

So decadent. My previous self would not have touched it with a ten-foot spoon.

But what I have learned is that one bowl of this deliciousness plus some pear slices and - if I'm feeling really crazy - a chunk of sourdough on the side, makes for a shockingly satisfying meal. 

A small portion goes a long way when I eat the food that my body craves. 

So that's my fall food philosophy. I'm ready to live a little 

* * * * *

Shrimp 'n Bacon Chowder
Adapted from Delish

Ingredients:

8 slices bacon, chopped
1 onion, diced
2 T flour
3 C chicken stock
3 red potatoes
salt and pepper
1 lb large shrimp, peeled, deveined and cut in half
2 C half and half
3 green onions, chopped

Directions:

1. In a large pot over medium-high heat, brown the bacon until crisp. Transfer to a plate and reserve some of the fat in pan. 

2. Add onions to pan and cook until soft, about six minutes. Add flour and stir about one minute. 

3. Whisk in chicken stock, then add potatoes, salt and pepper. Simmer on medium-low until potatoes are tender, about ten minutes. 

4. Stir in the cooked bacon. Add shrimp and simmer until pink, about three minutes. 

5. Just before serving, reduce heat to low and add the half and half. Stir until just warmed through, about three minutes.

6. Serve with green onions as garnish. Eat it up. 

PS Two days later, just to keep things interesting, I served the leftover soup over rice for dinner. So good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!