Sunday, October 16, 2016

Rest In Peace

My mom died on Saturday afternoon.

Quietly
Peacefully
Alone in her room
Tucked into a freshly made bed.

I'm glad of that. She always loved clean sheets.

And while I'm saddened at her passing, I take comfort in knowing that her long battle with Lewy Body Dementia is over and she is safe in heaven with her parents, first-born grandson, and loyal dog.

This is my mom's neighbor's Michigan flag. Hers looks exactly the same 
but she would have never left it out in the rain. 

My mother was born in the fall of 1930 and grew up in Cassopolis, Michigan. Despite the hardships of the times, she lived a happy childhood, swimming in nearby lakes; mastering the piano, violin and trombone; and dreaming of dancing with Fred Astaire. Though she earned degrees at a number of colleges and universities, Mom took tremendous pride in her years at University of Michigan. She carried a lifelong passion for Michigan football, flying her maize and blue flag every game day and faithfully cheering her team on through good seasons and bad.

After considering careers as a chemist and a pianist, my mom settled into teaching and spent 23 years at Spencer Road Elementary School in Brighton. Known for her quick wit and no-nonsense manner, she helped plan the school from the ground up, penned the school fight song, and tamed a full generation of fifth-graders. These accomplishments gave her immense satisfaction and well-deserved pride.

This was her favorite photo of us. 

But her deepest commitment was always to her family. In our home on Ore Lake, my mother single-handedly raised my three brothers and me, and we formed the nucleus of her world. Eventually, our spouses and her eleven grandchildren increased that joy. My mom brought endless energy and creative play into her grandchildren’s lives, and nurtured in them her deep love of reading.

Our Kelly. Mom always called him the "dog of dogs" and she loved him with her whole heart. 

Dogs were a special joy for my mom. From her spunky Irish Setter, Kelly, to her various grand-dogs, and even those animals she met only briefly, Mom drew great companionship and compassion. She was well-known for showering her beloved furry friends with endless ear rubs and countless snacks, and they all loved her just as she loved them.

I give thanks to the Lord for my mother’s long and loving life. While I mourn her passing, I rejoice that she is now healed and whole.

Mother and daughter. Death does not divide us but simply brings us one step closer to eternity. 

And I know that my mother will always be with me.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your mom. But there truly is peace in knowing our loved ones are safe and happy in heaven, and reunited with people they love. And that someday we'll get to see them again! And seriously, "penned the school fight song." That is awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!