Thursday, February 11, 2016

A Little Golden Tale

“Be thou comforted, little dog, Thou too in Resurrection shall have a little golden tail”


The season of Lent is here. 

Now is the time to put away the last traces of the Christmas glitz and glamour - oh, yes, I do still have my garlands up and lights a-blazing - and settle down into the certainty of the pre-Easter season, which is this:
We are mortal. Just as surely as we were born, we will one day die.
But we need not fear death, because God promises us something more. 

I know. At first, that feels like an unbearably heavy message, doesn't it.

But if we can receive those words with faith, then joy of Easter and the promise of heaven will undoubtedly follow.

* * * * *

In other news, I took Ranger to the vet this week.

He has, I am sorry to say, a huge tumor on his back end. It's not cancerous, thank goodness, but it is a nasty, inoperable thing, and there is no way to stop it from growing. I am being challenged to settle down into the certainty of his doctor's words, which were this:
Take your dog home. Give him the best life you possibly can
And when his suffering becomes too much, let him go. 

Ouch. At first, that felt like an unbearably heavy message for me.

But I have to remind myself that Ranger is just as mortal as anyone else. And just as surely as he was born, his little doggy life has been long, and the day that he will die draws near.And God promises more to him - oh yes, dogs most certainly do go to heaven - and so I am working to receive Dr. Bennett's words with faith, and live out Ranger's life in joy. 

And now please excuse me, as it's time to take my good dog for a walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!