Thursday, November 26, 2015

Happy Thanksgiving


Gratefulness is not a feeling or a mood.

It's a mindset
an attiude
a fierce determination

that I have to choose every day. Even the crummy days.


Setting aside one special day each year to reflect on our blessings is a genius idea. But really, a daily habit of thankfulness is what we need. That's one more reason I love the practice of sharing highs and lows each day - we can be thankful for our highs, and grateful to have survived our lows.


I'm often tempted to fall into the trap of feeling sorry for myself for things I want but don't have. To snap out of that selfishness, it helps me to think about things that I'm glad I don't have.

Like cancer.
Addictions.
A felony record.
Or cankles.


When my faith was young and I was trying to figure out how to pray, somewhere I read that if, in your prayers, you only said thank you, that would be enough.

Over the years, that advice has helped me a lot.


As in many families, I've tried to instill the ritual of going around the Thanksgiving table and asking each person to share what they are thankful for. But as my daughters have often reminded me, it's always people - family and friends - that we appreciate most and once the kids are older than ten, the exercise sometimes feels redundant.

Still, I need to remind myself to appreciate each and every person who makes a difference in my life, and on this Thanksgiving Day, I'm going to do my best to reach out to them and tell them what they mean to me. 

That will be a good project to work on while I'm sprawled across the couch in a food coma.


Wishing all the best to you and yours on this pure and simple day of thanks. 

* * * * *

impala trophy, string of lights, side table | target
rug | cost plus world market
christmas cactus | my grandma
banner, dining table | diy
red chair | IKEA
wood chair | been around forever

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!