Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Road Trip Day 11: Howell, MI to Albert Lee, MN


Off we go on another all-American family road trip. 

Two parents
Two daughters
A big red dog
And a car full of suitcases, leashes, a cooler, bags of food, blankets, pillows, maps, books, extra sweatshirts, water bottles, bags, backpacks, and a whole slew of electronic devices and their chargers. 

Where are we going and what will we do when we get there? Just wait and see. 

* * * * *

Michigan
Indiana
Illinois
Wisconsin
Minnesota

We're heading west with abandon now, picking up momentum as we dash through the Great Hardwood Forest, over the mighty Mississippi, and out into the open prairie. 

Some prime sightseeing lies in store for the final leg of the trip, but our primary purposes have been accomplished. We laid my mother-in law to rest, and spent several days catching up with my mom, whose Lewy Body Dementia continues its ugly advance. 

And as today's sun sank down into a fiery glow on the windswept horizon, I found myself wondering, which is more difficult - to bid farewell to the earthly presence of one mother or to walk out the door and leave behind the failing, tortured mind of the other?

I don't know. Both are pretty heartbreaking. 

All I can be sure of is this: my faith is the only thing that is keeping me going. 

My faith tells me that no matter how chaotic this world may feel, God is always, ALWAYS in control 
My faith reminds me that the separation between this life and the next is but a veil. 
My faith promises me that God loves each and every life with equal value and tenderly holds us all.  
My faith helps me control myself when all I want to do is sit down and cry for a million years.
My faith calms my troubled heart. 

And for all those things, I am grateful. 

Distance covered today: 661 miles
Total miles so far: 3383 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!