Monday, October 6, 2014

Free Form Art


lunch at school
deconstructed butterfly
rainy day 
in my purse

(top row to bottom, left to right)


Today, for the first time in a long time, I coaxed myself to lay aside all the typical daily distractions and chores in order to sit down and paint.

Using drawing pencils, Sumi ink, black watercolor, and some leftover bits of watercolor paper, I played around with basic geometric shapes, layering designs and combining elements as the inspiration struck. No plan or forethought whatsoever.

While that approach may sound mindless and easy, it's actually somewhat terrifying for an artist to let go of expectations and simply allow the work to evolve. Not every swing of the bat will be a home run, metaphorically speaking, but that's exactly the point.

To practice living in the moment and to invite the creative spirits to run wild - these are the sweet rewards of free form art.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...I'd love to hear from you!